"The Long Journey Home: A Marines Ride to Harley-Davidson USA"
Pat "Brandy" Fitzgerald
Current Post Historian ; Secretary, American Legion/Riders Post 290 in Stafford, VA
- Current Member (and Webmaster) Women Marines Crossroads Chapter, Quantico
- Current Member/Secretary, Quantico Harley-Davidson Harley Owners Group
- Life Member Marine Corps League
- Retired member of Band of Brothers USMC Motorcycle Riding Club
- Church Choir Director
* Prior Secretary, American Legion Riders Post 28; Past Adjutant, American Legion Post 28
* Prior Commandant, Mickey Finn Detachment, Marine Corps League, Triangle, VA,
* Past Commander/Adjutant, Geiger Young Marine
I always wanted to be a biker! No, I was not born that way; I was influenced at an early age and it has stayed with me all my life.
At the early age of 12, I was co sidered old enough to babysit my two younger siblings. “The Parents”, as we came to call them much later in life, would go out every once in a great while and I would be placed in charge. I was DEFINITELY NOT ready. On one of these special occasions, after the siblings had gone to bed, I was turning the dial on the black and white television set, and what jumped onto the screen but “The Wild Ones, starring Marlon Brando!” I was immediately thrilled and settled down to enjoy what I was positive “The Parents” would vehemently object to me watching. Thus began my life long love affair of wanting to be a biker and owning a genuine old fashioned, black biker leather jacket! So when people argue over television and movies influencing children, I can honestly say, "Yes, it does!"
It has taken me five years of college, three years as a Band Director, twenty-plus years in the Marine Corps, two metric bikes and in 2006 my first Harley to get to where I am now. The dream has always been there; sometimes hidden beneath the surface always waiting and dying to get out..
While growing up I would always tell people, "Some day I am going to ride into Harley-Davidson USA on my own Harley!" People would laugh or say things like, "Yeah right! " But on June 5, 2022 that dream is going to be a reality and I will share it all and the whole trip right here! MORE